Barclays Bank – Grade II Listed Building
Barclays Bank, Frederick Street has a long history in the heart of the Jewellery Quarter. The Birmingham District & Counties Banking Company was formed in 1889 after a series of amalgamations. Above the doorway is the date of 1836.
On December 18 1905 it opened this branch. The Birmingham District & Counties Bank grew and expanded its business through a series of acquisitions; in 1904 the Midland Counties Bank was taken over, and in 1906, the Wakefield & Barnsley Union Bank. In 1907 when Bradford Old Bank Ltd was acquired, the title of the Bank was changed to United Counties Bank Ltd., the name by which it was known until it was acquired by Barclay & Company Ltd in 1916.
A Local Head Office at Birmingham was formed in 1916 and Frederick Street remains under the control of this Regional Office today. The earliest recorded Branch Manager was a Mr H P Bill in 1905; later Managers include W G Badham in 1912, J B Davies in 1924, P J Hawkes in 1935, F C Lee in 1947, W S Law in 1962, T D Trigg in 1969, J C Phillips in 1971, C W Hole in 1980 and since 1984, D A Timmis, in 1989, became a Founder Director and Treasurer of The Jewellery Quarter Association.