The Present Assay Office Building
In 1877-78, it cost £9,448 to build the first part of the Assay Office on the present site in Birmingham. But owing to the rapid increase in business it soon proved too small, and the first extension was added in 1885 at a cost of £1,988.
Telephones were installed in 1885, and the gas lighting was replaced with electric lights in 1890. Further alterations were made, to create more space in 1895, 1899, 1907 and 1914.
In 1972, following intensive discussions with the City Council in the 1960’s regarding a possible move to the heart of a redeveloped Jewellery Quarter, which was subsequently abandoned, it was agreed to add another storey to the building.
This provided another 5,278 square feet and represented great foresight on the part of the Guardians as the number of articles handled each year rose from 5 million in 1972 to 9.8 million in 1979.
From the Assay office web site http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/tbbtt.html